“There is a revolution in personalized, professional learning on the horizon for educational leaders.”
– Dr. Susan Homes, Deputy Executive Director for Professional Learning, Illinois Principals Association
Micro-credentials are a new and exciting way to show off your core educational competencies! This personalized learning opportunity allows you to utilize your existing knowledge and experience, along with provided learning resources, to earn a digital badge that demonstrates your mastery of a specific skill.
What is a Micro-credential?
- A Micro-credential is not a course. It is an online, on-demand way to earn a badge that demonstrates your competency. The process includes submitting some evidences to be evaluated by an assessor in order to earn a sharable badge that you can use in your paper and online portfolios, email signature as well as social networks.
- A Micro-credential is a career-building opportunity. Micro-credentials evidence your career skills and growth in a tangible, highly-visible way. Completing a micro-credential could potentially lead to salary advancement or help you stand out in a pool of job candidates. You can also earn professional development credit toward your licensure requirements.
- Micro-credentials are scalable learning opportunities. You can continue to add more credentials to your resume over time to demonstrate new skills and increase your marketability!
What Makes Micro-credentials Unique?
- On-Demand – Micro-credentials do not require attendance at an in-person or online seminar on any specific date. You can complete them on your schedule and still earn professional development clock hours.
- Skill-Based – Micro-credentials require you to evidence your mastery of a specific skill, such as the tax levy. An assessor will evaluate your competency in order for you to earn the credential.
- Shareable – The digital badge you receive upon completion can be added to your paper resume or online profiles and link to a page that describes what that micro-credential entails.
How the Micro-credential Process Works
- Select a Micro-credential – Earn a micro-credential for something you already know, or use the credential process as a chance to grow your skillset.
- Demonstrate Your Competency – Review the micro-credential document to find the learning outcomes and what evidences you will need to submit. When you are ready, submit your required artifacts for assessment.
- Share Your Skill – Upon successful completion and evaluation by an assessor, earn a digital badge that you can add to your physical portfolio, email signature or social networks.
Get started by reviewing the Micro-credential Library.