Fostering a Data Literacy Culture
Professional Development Credit – This micro-credential may be eligible for continuing professional development credit in your state. Contact your state affiliate association to learn more.
Overview – The Fostering a Data Literacy Culture Micro-credential requires that the practitioner demonstrates proficiency of all the essential outcomes and the research-based subskills defined in the details. These include creating and supporting a culture of data use for continuous improvement, building a safe, trusting environment for stakeholder review, analysis, and use of data, establishing a culture of tolerance for data-driven change, supporting a cultural shift from specialized to system-level thinking, and providing a plan with strategies, implementation timelines, evaluation, and monitoring process to establish and facilitate best practice in fostering a data literacy culture.
Essential Outcomes – Fostering a Data Literacy Culture Micro-credential identifies five essential outcomes:
- Create and support a culture of data use for continuous improvement.
- Build a safe, trusting environment for stakeholder review, analysis, and use of data.
- Establish a culture of tolerance for data-driven change.
- Support a cultural shift from specialized to system-level thinking.
- Provide a plan with strategies, implementation timelines, evaluation, and monitoring process to establish and facilitate best practice in fostering a data literacy culture.
Part 1 – Overview Questions
Develop a responsive narrative that answers the following questions (1,000-word minimum):
- How did you create and support a safe, trusting environment for the review, analysis and use of data to inform all school improvement efforts?
- How did you build and support a culture of tolerance for change and continuous improvement supported by data?
- How have you as an educational leader ensured and demonstrated processes, procedures, and policies to support and foster the continuation of effective, system-wide data use and ongoing assessment and support for stakeholder’s data literacy?
- When solving a complex school problem, what steps do you take to ensure that a system thinking approach—having a mindset and ability to access, understand, communicate, and utilize various forms of formal and informal data—is applied?
Part 2 – Skill Demonstration Product with Self-Analysis
Develop an artifact portfolio that captures the essential outcomes for the Fostering a Data Literacy Culture micro-credential and complete the evidence self-analysis.
For each EO detail you will be required to reference an uploaded artifact(s) and guide the assessor to the specific evidence (page number, video time stamp, etc.) within the uploaded artifact(s). An explanation of how the evidence demonstrates proficiency of the outcome detail is also required. The practitioner must clearly and compellingly demonstrate proficiency of every detail under each essential outcome.
Part 3 – Reflection & Application
Submit, in writing, a summary of your experience of Fostering a Data Literacy Culture (500-word minimum. Highlight and provide specific examples of how you applied the five essential outcomes and details of the Fostering a Data Literacy Culture micro-credential. Include a reflection about the impact of these skills on your professional practice and how you will continue to apply them in the future.